Tuesday, August 3, 2010

DIY Heat Shield for my Elantra

It was on Sunday morning that I had an idea to DIY a heat shield for the intake filter. Been thinking what is the best design etc but wont cost a bomb. So happen have an extra foam sheets laying around in the store...I decided to give it try.

The whole lower section and side section of the filter including theATF diptick is covered. The dipstick provide some top opening that prevent the foam sheets from sitting right ontop of the filter thus causing it to suffocating. The cold air intake hose will continue to supply cold air from outside without any effect from the hot air of the engine bay.




The whole foam sheet covered nicely and secured with cable tie. No problem in removing the cable tie should in the next service the dipstck need to be lifted.



I also allow an opening that will channel cold air to the engine bay ECU.


The verdict....the noise from the open pod air filter reduce by 50% during hard accleration. And the pick-up seems better on hot days not like before...kinda feel some lagging. Will have to further monitor during long distance travel.

2 comments:

Ritzzuan said...

My review after installation of this heat shield...I see my petrol needle is going down slowly than before! Yet to calculate the FC..anyway..better I enjoy it!

sugaring said...

nice one bro !